Saturday 10 December 2016

'Nice Boys Don't Kiss Like That...'


I have returned. A bit sooner than I had planned, but a rather severe case of procrastination has led me here. Despite having chosen some interesting topics for my numerous essays, such as the rebranding and retellings of fairy tales, and the classic exploration of feminism within the James Bond franchise, I have found myself more drawn to this blog.



Recently I wrote an essay on Austen’s popularity, and it’s led me back to classics. I am working my way through some disturbing/fantastic novels based upon Austen’s works. I mentioned in my last post that I had started Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and I am almost finished. But tonight I wanted to discuss the male characters within Austen’s novels. Beware, this will probably be the most shallow post ever and it is probably not worth reading. I am deeply apologetic.



So, Fitzwilliam Darcy and George Knightly are definetly among my all time favourites. Though aside from Austen, I have a slight weakness for the brooding Edward Rochester (though the crazy wife in the attic situation is a tad off putting).







Whether it be Fitzwilliam Darcy, or Mark Darcy, I am a hundred percent on board. Partly because of Colin Firth’s involvement. Partly because I find Darcy’s character amusing. Yes, I accept that he is both irritating and rude and I am very offended on Elizabeth’s part as he refers to her as ‘tolerable’. Then follows this by confessing his love, and yet expressing disgust at the fact he has feelings for her. The character should be intolerable. But regardless, I find him amusing. Particularly within the 2005 adaptation of the novel, starring Keira Knightly. However, I feel that Bridget Jones’ Diary replicated miserable, dry and yet amusing character very well with Mark Darcy!



I love that "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you” became:


“Wait a minute…nice boys don’t kiss like that”

 “Oh yes they f*cking do!”

But what about George Knightly. Mr Knightly was a character I fell in love with instantly. Throughout Emma I was so very irritated with our protagonist for her total and complete ignorance! Knightly is older than Emma, and appeared to have been introduced as a figure of guidance. I was undeterred by this knowledge, and soon realised that Knightly is Emma’s long time best friend. Nobody, except for Mrs Weston, better understands Emma. Additionally, he is the only person that can recognise her as being flawed. He does not put her on a pedestal, and this makes her character more tolerable. However, he does take an awfully long time in which to confess his feelings for Emma.



Back to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies before bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment