Monday 16 January 2017

A little bit of everything...

Perhaps I am not as terrible with trains and travel as I thought. I made it there and back, it was relatively simple. I know it is only Birmingham, it's hardly a major achievement. But I am wholly unfamiliar with trains, and leaving Wolverhampton, unfortunately. I really need to start travelling more, and getting out of Wolverhampton. Anyway, the day was wet and dark but very entertaining. The catch up and lunch were lovely. However I did spend a small fortune on clothes and books that I probably did not need at all.

I managed to finished A Quiet Kind of Thunder today. It wasn't extraordinary, I didn't cry as I thought I would. But the concept was lovely, and I loved reading a book about a girl called Stefanie even if it were the wrong spelling. The novel made me feel content, and it featured some lovely characters. I was happy when Tem became angry at Steffi, because the characters were starting to feel a little too content with things. For example, Steffi's mother, father and step-mother are all very close. They are neither angry, nor disappointed when she makes her way to Scotland without telling anyone where she is (she is seventeen years old!).The concept of the three adults sharing dinner together was interesting. Mostly because it is something I am unfamiliar with It seemed a little too nice. However, Barnard's treatment of anxiety and panic attacks was comforting. The issues were treated with respect, but weren't avoided. Steffi's experience was relatable in parts, and it was refreshing.

However I now feel as though I am in a bit of a rut. I need to start reading Great Expectations for my class in Semester Two. The plan is to finish Death Comes to Pemberley, and Alexander McCall Smith's Emma and then move on. I have so many books and series to finish!

Death Comes to Pemberley is taking an awfully long time, despite only having a hundred pages left. I'm sick of hearing about Elizabeth longing for time alone with Darcy. The fact that P. D James is trying to replicate Austen's style is really starting to piss me off. My mission for tomorrow is to try and finish it. However, McCall's Emma is getting interesting. Isabella's courtship seems to take up a lot of the narrative thus far. And Emma's character is even more insufferable than in the original, so there is that. She is not even endearing. She is vicious. On occasion, it is amusing. But I'm feeling a little disheartened at the moment. It feels like a very long book at the moment.

Additionally, Fairy Loot is arriving sometime this week! I am looking forward to it, and praying I'll be at home to get it and not have to wait twenty four hours till I can collect it from the post office like normal. I'll post an unboxing as soon as it arrives!

It is now ten to one, so I'm going to put the laptop down. Probably more tomorrow.

Good night folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment