Sunday 8 January 2017

Late night rambling...

Once more I am here due to a need to escape my academic insecurities that, as usual, have emerged after five hours of writing and rewriting. It is five past one in the morning and I don't think I could possibly have anything interesting to say. It is freezing cold and I've decided to end the day watching Sherlock. Episode three of the first season. Life currently feels like Sherlock sitting in his pyjamas, shooting at a random wall. A little ridiculous and yet amusing. However, my episode of Sherlock is almost finished, and my fairy tales essay finally complete. I've decided to order a collection of Sherlock Holmes novels, purely out of interest. Thank god for next day delivery.

I cannot wait for the first semester's assignments to be over, simply so that I can read! My to be read pile is crying out for me to start it this year! My December to be read list did not go very well. I don't think I'm very good at working to a schedule. I've been thinking about all of the things I want to do this year. I definitely need to get my passport! I am eager to start travelling (wandering like Jennifer Niven's Violet and Finch). I've been thinking about Ireland.


I am currently reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I'm finding it very difficult after watching the film for the first time a few days ago. Dumbledore's death (spoiler alert?) was awful. I'm not ready to experience it again so soon. But I am just as in love with Rowling and her wizarding world as ever. Alongside this, I have started another Austen Project novel; Emma by Alexander McCall Smith. So far so good! After Eligible I'm keen to return to Austen, to correct the wrongdoings done by Sittenfeld. The very thought of reading anything more by her makes me shudder. I've been meaning to try Death Comes to Pemberley. However after catching bits of the ghastly television series, and reviews from trusted Austen lovers, I am inclined to avoid it.

Anyway, I saw a post on 'book riot' entitled 'retro rereads'. The idea is that every month, I pick a book I want to reread. That way there is a balance between new books to read, and books I want to reread. I always feel guilty for rereading, as though I'm not reading new enough books. I think this will be quite difficult to stick to. However I am willing to give it a go. I tried starting a list to follow for the year. But I'd rather just pick a book as I go along. This month, I decided to start small with The Perks of being a Wallflower. Beautifully inspiring, although the film made something painfully beautiful clichéd and awkward. My favourite line, and probably the most popular:

'We Accept the Love We Think We Deserve'.

This is definitely a sentiment I am beginning to understand.

I ended my week whilst watching Michelle Obama's emotional departing speech. I have never admired her more than I did whilst watching that. She urged young people to 'not be afraid', to hope and to use education in order to access society. As a means to obtaining a voice. Her voice wavered with the threat of an onslaught of tears. She displayed such a belief in hope, in young people, and in change. It was beautiful. Perhaps this is just me being soppy again. There is much to fear, but her belief in the power of hope enabled me to see past them.

Forgive me for having absolutely nothing interesting to say this evening. My brain has been fried by a revolting mixture of university and McDonalds (see what I did there?) I also blame falling down the stairs, twice, this week.

I don't think I shall ever subject you to my late night ramblings again. Deeply apologetic!
Good night.







No comments:

Post a Comment