Sunday 22 January 2017

'Hell hath no fury like 157 million women scorned'.

Just a brief one for tonight.

I had a conversation with a couple of friends today about sexism and how relevant it still was within our society. The male half of these two friends argued that it was less relevant. Whilst the female half argued that we would never overcome it. I think that it is still very much relevant. The glass ceiling still forces women down.

These campaign posters are so powerful. It's hard to pick a favourite. I like the one with the suffragettes because it is true. To use a cliché amongst the young; same shit on a different day. Varying degrees perhaps, but still as oppressive and painful.

I've seen posts today, on social media, stating that these protests and Marches that are happening across the world make the women involved look like trash. They state that there are more important issues to be addressed than the prejudices of one man. I beg to differ. Because it is not just one man. You are ignorant to think that this prejudice is confined to one country, to one ignorant white man. You are wrong. It is these issues and prejudices that surround us all. Men and women, united.  And these women are not trash. I was disgusted at this sentiment. These men and women are brave. They represent a new generation, despite the fact that they are a mixture of young and old. I am incredibly proud to be a part of it.

I was going to apologise for another politically focussed post. I was going to say that I will stop blogging about issues such as these eventually.  But I realised, after expressing these feelings on social media and talking to other people, that I should never have to apologise for it. I will never apologise for it. Not talking about sexism and this glass ceiling means they have won. Awareness of things is so so important. I'm a huge advocate of mental health awareness, and of feminism. I will not be silenced and neither anybody else.





No comments:

Post a Comment