Sunday 15 January 2017

A week off!!



So not only am I off uni for a week, I am also taking some time off work. I am off for three weeks. Which feels like forever at the moment. I am a free woman.

What have I done so far? Well since breaking up from university I have purchased a new blanket and two new books; The One Memory of Flora Banks and A Quiet Kind of Thunder. Both new releases.

Anway, yesterday evening I bundled myself up in a blanket and finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I loved it. The book, as always, contained so much more detail than the film. I finally realised that after Malfoy's boring speech explaining how he got the Death Eaters into the castle (yawn) and Snape arrives, Dumbledore is not asking him for mercy. instead, Dumbledore is asking Snape to kill him. However I feel as though there is more to the story and after a short break I'll be starting Deathly Hallows.

However, after I finished Half Blood Prince I started The One Memory of Flora Banks. It took me three hours and I have finished it. It was interesting, and startling.  Some unexpected twists and turns, though it was quite obvious that there was a secret.

Flora Banks is quite unique. She has a perfectly 'solid' memory until the age of ten, when her family is in a car accident. However, she is told that she developed a brain tumour. She is told, by her parents, that the removal of the brain tumour meant that the doctors removed her short term memory with it. But this is something Flora lost in the accident. Anyway, Flora cannot maintain memory for more than a few hours at a time. She hasn't been able to since she was ten, and she is now seventeen. However, she kisses a guy (Drake) and manages to remember it the next day. This is the start of an adventure to the artic for Flora, and I just wish we'd seen more of it! Floras impulsive personality alongside her condition made me feel exhilarated and yet anxious! I felt as though I was her mother! But God, I resented her mother for keeping Flora contained. I despised Drake and even Paige at times. The ending was ultimately unsatisfying- I hated this particular cliff hanger. I put it down feeling a little disheartened.

Since then I have been reading A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard. So far I've got to page 97. I am content. The cover is beautiful and the concept is lovely. Barnard is doing a wonderful job. Some parts are clichéd (taglines, especially) but it's an easy read. I'm quite happy with it. Some of the chapters that are focussed on anxiety are very detailed and I feel that Barnard did them justice. I will give a review, probably, later on. After Death Comes to Pemberley.

I doubt I'll manage to finish it tonight and I am off to Birmingham for the day tomorrow so it will be going with me. I'm meeting an old friend; I haven't seen Katie for about three years. I'm so excited! But I should say that I am terrible with trains, purely because I never go anywhere! Well I'll let you know how it goes!

Currently I am at a loss for what to do without university work. That seems strange, I know. But university is kind of like a break from reality. I only have to worry about deadlines when I'm at uni. Nothing else. It is a strange sort of peace.

I still have Death Comes to Pemberley to finish and I wanted to start Great Expectations soon. I'll get there.

Have a lovely week guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment