Friday 27 January 2017

Austen-land

Just a quick one as the reason I came into university today was to get on with some serious reading, whilst working my way through Joni Mitchell's discography (I am now in love).

So I've managed to fight my way through Pride and Prejudice: Hidden Lusts and finally finished it this morning, despite having to stop every couple of pages to laugh. My favourite alterations included Mr Collins being gay, Mr Bingley being gay and Lydia. Just, Lydia. I struggled to work out if this was meant to be serious? I felt as if it straddled the line between serious and silly. My particular favourite part was when Wickham informs Lizzy that Darcy supposedly runs a brothel in London, and Lizzy's response is essential 'oh shit!' However, her reaction is immediately followed by her 'thinking with fondness of the sheep that grazed in the surrounding countryside'. Then, she blushes and lowers her eyes to Wickham's crotch. I think this is one of the funnier retellings I've come across in the last month. Though it is not one that I would willingly pick up again. I can't wait to start Caraval when I get home today.


Anyway I will leave you with a picture of the majority of my Austen collection, featuring at least one copy of each of Austen's novels alongside a number of retellings and sequels that I've collected over the past month. I think Lydia has to be my favourite. There is also a colouring book!



Have a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment