Monday 9 January 2017

Death comes to Austen?

Against my better judgement I have decided to purchase Death Comes to Pemberley. I have already been warned, and on my own head be it. I will post a review soon. I am interested to see which is more painful, P.D James or Sittenfeld's Eligible.

Today's purchases include Hamlet (two editions) and some very pretty vintage editions of Austen's Emma! No such thing as having too much Austen. I think I have three copies of each now. Is it safe to consider myself Austen obsessed now?

I started the day watching Meryl Streep's speech from The Golden Globes last night. She managed to criticise Donald Trump, rather severely, without even mentioning his name. Like Michelle Obama, she gave a speech that promoted unity. A true united front. I couldn't fault her for that. She spoke of a united front, particularly, between Hollywood and the press. She discussed what Hollywood was constructed of; 'a bunch of people from other places'. She stated that 'if you kick them all out, you'll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts!' She laughed at this, and I was fist pumping the air at 8am this morning. Meryl Streep, you broke my heart with your speech and empowered me, simultaneously. She confirmed that 'violence incites violence'. It is a little shocking to think that this still needs to be repeated in order for it to be regarded as a universal truth. However, some still remain not only ignorant of it but accepting of it. It broke my heart. Meryl Streep presented a painful reality to me. Yet, she instilled hope in her words. Streep made me feel very differently about Hollywood today, and its potential.

What made me laugh was Trump's response to Streep's criticism:

"Meryl Streep, one of the most overrated actresses in Hollywood, doesn't know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes"'.

Quite simply, I have nothing to say. I am disgusted. I think this statement speaks for itself.


It is now five in the evening and I am still at university. A little tired but still working on an essay that questions feminism in the Bond franchise. Almost, almost there. Wish me luck!

More later!







No comments:

Post a Comment