Wednesday 18 January 2017

The Last Beginning.

It is once again time for my evening rambling, something that has come to be rather regular since I started my time off.

Today I started, and finished The Last Beginning by Lauren James. I needed something light after Death Comes to Austen Pemberley. I needed something that wouldn't make my brain hurt, so naturally I turned to a book about time travel. I have no common sense, I can assure you.

However, I managed to finish the novel in one sitting. It was the sequel to the very confusing The Next Together, which followed one couple, Katherine and Matt, across three different timelines as they continually attempt the save each others lives at the point of a major event in history. Lauren James' earliest time zone in this novel is that of 1745, in Scotland, and the latest is 2040, which depicts Kate and Matt having to expose the British government and their secret biological weapon.

The Last Beginning, however, was a good sequel. It was narrated from the point of view of Clove, Kate and Matt's daughter. This sequel explained everything that I was confused about in the first novel, which was basically everything. Time travel is complex. Especially when 1745 Matt met 2040 Kate, and yet they were still in love. However, it was a little overwhelming because I felt it was fast paced. I don't know if that's because I managed to start and finish the novel in one sitting or not. I don't know. Perhaps Death Comes to Pemberley has made me overly critical of everything. McCall's Emma certainly isn't getting any better now I am over half way through. I am beginning to lose all faith in Austen retellings and sequels.

However, I am onto the final Harry Potter book now; Deathly Hallows. I hope to finish it by tomorrow afternoon. I'm enjoying the empty afternoons that mean I get to curl up with books and just read. Though I am missing university a little bit now.

Tomorrow I intend to finish a read through of The Tempest in preparation for my Shakespeare module.

Just a short one tonight. I have a lot of thoughts about Trump to present to you guys, but I'll save that for tomorrow.

Good night folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment